Extremely savoury on nose and palate but is there ANY fruit? Medium bodied with earthy cherry notes finishing with sandy drying tannins. Similar notes to 156 weeks ago. Starting to come together after 9 years but to be honest it has not lived up to its #6 wine for 2014 with Wine Spectator. I have about 4 left so its progress will be interesting. — 10 months ago
Spoto barrel tasting - invited 15 people to their Sacramento winery!!
1) from the tank (not in barrel yet)..2019 Beckstoffer crimson ridge (lake county) cabernet sauvignon..taste like a fortified grape juice!!
2) barrel #1....2018 oakville To Kalon cabernet sauvignon...the base for his private reserve. After 2 years he will blend with merlot, cab franc, etc. New french oak...lots of fruit, touch of oak and sweet tannin.
3) barrel#2..2018 oakville To Kalon cabernet franc. 1st grape he uses to blend with the cabernet sauvignon to enhance the mid pallet.
The remainder will be used for his special bottling at the Napa Valley wine auction this year.
4) barrel #3...2018 Beckstoffer Pedros block malbec (Lake county). Small amount will be used in the Beckstoffer lake county cabernet...rest will be used in a special bottle of malbec...lots of blueberry and plum...awesome Malbec!
5) barrel#4. 2017 Oakville To Kalon private reserve cabernet. To be bottled next June and released in the fall. 34 months in barrel total.
6) barrel#5...2016 Beckstoffer cabernet sauvignon (family reserve)..this one barrel will be aged 44 months for extra structure. Moving to creme brulee on the nose, terrific fruit, elegant and smooth.
7) barrel#6...2016 oakville To Kalon private reserve cabernet (family reserve)...this 1 barrel to be aged 44 months. More acidity and brighter stronger finish than the previous Beckstoffer.
What a fun event!!!!!! — a month ago
Wine #7 in this bracket. My blind tasting notes - similar to #6 but lighter in colour and nose. ( As it later turned out they were both Armand Rousseau wines but I would not have expected Chambertin to be slightly lighter in colour than the Ruchottes). Again palate staining spicy intensity with a long future assured. Brilliant. — a year ago
Completely unique. @Fraser McKinley has said that he prefers these Little Wines in their youth. It’s been a year almost since I last had #6 and I think the year has done wonders. It just feels even more interesting and integrated than last time. The nose completely blows you away on opening. The finish is extremely long. A triumph. — a year ago