Spoto barrel tasting - invited 15 people to their Sacramento winery!!
1) from the tank (not in barrel yet)..2019 Beckstoffer crimson ridge (lake county) cabernet sauvignon..taste like a fortified grape juice!!
2) barrel #1....2018 oakville To Kalon cabernet sauvignon...the base for his private reserve. After 2 years he will blend with merlot, cab franc, etc. New french oak...lots of fruit, touch of oak and sweet tannin.
3) barrel#2..2018 oakville To Kalon cabernet franc. 1st grape he uses to blend with the cabernet sauvignon to enhance the mid pallet.
The remainder will be used for his special bottling at the Napa Valley wine auction this year.
4) barrel #3...2018 Beckstoffer Pedros block malbec (Lake county). Small amount will be used in the Beckstoffer lake county cabernet...rest will be used in a special bottle of malbec...lots of blueberry and plum...awesome Malbec!
5) barrel#4. 2017 Oakville To Kalon private reserve cabernet. To be bottled next June and released in the fall. 34 months in barrel total.
6) barrel#5...2016 Beckstoffer cabernet sauvignon (family reserve)..this one barrel will be aged 44 months for extra structure. Moving to creme brulee on the nose, terrific fruit, elegant and smooth.
7) barrel#6...2016 oakville To Kalon private reserve cabernet (family reserve)...this 1 barrel to be aged 44 months. More acidity and brighter stronger finish than the previous Beckstoffer.
What a fun event!!!!!! — 11 days ago
very smooth, subtle tannins, well integrated, layers of cassis and red fruit. Classic Oakville. Thank you for this beautiful gift Ian and Andrea! I am drinking this in honor of my father who passed away today 8 years ago. — 4 days ago
Dang. A really nice Cabernet Franc. Right at peak pop and pour drinking. The cork came out black with a ton of sediment. The wine had a nose of dark chocolate, truffle, black cherry, cola, white flowers, black olive and a hint of oak. The palate was the same fruit wise with great acidity up front. A little bit of eucalyptus in the middle. Black cherry and cola finish with a little bit of tobacco leaf.
Softer tannin on the finish . Medium-plus bodied wine. In a really great spot right now. If you have these, it is definitely time to pop and enjoy. — 15 days ago
Two points me for picking the right one. Big Napa Cab. Drinking well now despite age. I was expecting more, but it was still a really nice bottle. Black fruit, cinnamon, very smooth, with a bit of spice on the finish. Paired perfectly with grilled boneless leg of lamb. — 19 days ago