Spoto barrel tasting - invited 15 people to their Sacramento winery!!
1) from the tank (not in barrel yet)..2019 Beckstoffer crimson ridge (lake county) cabernet sauvignon..taste like a fortified grape juice!!
2) barrel #1....2018 oakville To Kalon cabernet sauvignon...the base for his private reserve. After 2 years he will blend with merlot, cab franc, etc. New french oak...lots of fruit, touch of oak and sweet tannin.
3) barrel#2..2018 oakville To Kalon cabernet franc. 1st grape he uses to blend with the cabernet sauvignon to enhance the mid pallet.
The remainder will be used for his special bottling at the Napa Valley wine auction this year.
4) barrel #3...2018 Beckstoffer Pedros block malbec (Lake county). Small amount will be used in the Beckstoffer lake county cabernet...rest will be used in a special bottle of malbec...lots of blueberry and plum...awesome Malbec!
5) barrel#4. 2017 Oakville To Kalon private reserve cabernet. To be bottled next June and released in the fall. 34 months in barrel total.
6) barrel#5...2016 Beckstoffer cabernet sauvignon (family reserve)..this one barrel will be aged 44 months for extra structure. Moving to creme brulee on the nose, terrific fruit, elegant and smooth.
7) barrel#6...2016 oakville To Kalon private reserve cabernet (family reserve)...this 1 barrel to be aged 44 months. More acidity and brighter stronger finish than the previous Beckstoffer.
What a fun event!!!!!! — 11 days ago
2016 mike smith flight
This becklyn is tasting the best right now. Soft, rich fruit, chocolate. Delicious. The quivet, despite being the least fruit forward of the 4, is also hitting the spot. It’s a good wine to open when you are sharing with people that have a more classic cab taste. The myriad napa is the most tannic of the 4, but it is dark and jam packed with power. It’ll be phenomenal with some air or age. Probably the most potential. The scarlett is the reddest fruit of the 4. Like the myriad, I think it will really shine with some air/age. All great. — 7 months ago
Pic #4. 2015 Andrea Oberto ‘Giada’ Barbera d’Alba. Offered a deep ruby hue, with a bouquet of aromas including dark red fruit, vanillin, and ambrosial notes, the texture was soft on the palate. This was paired so well with the tortellini photographed on the prior picture, 3.
#andreaoberto #barbera #piedmontwines — 2 months ago
Wine #4 from 6 Grand Crus from Morey Saint Denis & Chambolle Musigny. Delectable this is the Comte de Vogue Musigny. Closed Nose at this young age. Also showing restraint on the sweetish palate. Fine tannins. A very long way to go. Showing that little bit extra that defines Musigny. Too early to appreciate how good this will finally be. 95 points now but 98 or 99 in the future. — 10 months ago
My exploration of Canarian wines #4
Pale in color and quite restrained with shy apple and apricot and a whiff of herbs. On the palate bone dry with good depth, a rocky, salty personality and purity. The apricots play second fiddle. Good length and very food friendly. — 13 days ago
Moore Brothers 9/18/19 Italian Intro #4. Deep ruby color and complex spicy cherry nose. Firm texture medium body good balance with acids and medium finish. Truly like a baby Amarone. — 2 months ago
This specific wine was #4 on the WS top 100 back in 2005. I was working in Chile at the time and had grown to absolutely love these wines. This wine did not disappoint 18 years later. Solid structure, some old world funk on the nose, the fruit was dark and brooding. An amazing wine that easily tops some of the big names out of Napa. — 3 months ago
$22.39. good representation of Chianti clasico. Fantastic structure, great minerality, nice finish Would like to see where this goes over next 10 yrs. #4 x 10y — a year ago