And now for something quite different. A champagne rebel and man of his own time and mind, Charles Dufour is producing some extraordinary wines. And they live up to the hype. A nice mild amber color with lazy, small bubbles. The nose is rather intense with a nice bit of nutmeg up front. Plenty of citrus fruit that never overwhelms but is certainly enveloping. Woodsmoke and wood, red apples, and just a little honey.
As natural as natural wine gets. Organic, hand picked, herbicide free. This most certainly tastes natural, in the best way possible. 60% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay, and an added 10% of Pinot Blanc. From beautiful Côte des Bar terroir and aged for two years on lees. 80% of the wine comes from the 2018 harvest with the remaining 20% coming from a perpetual reserve dating back to 2010. With an extra brut dosage of 3 g/l, there’s rather zippy acidity and innate purity here.
This really is one of those bottles that unique and highly, highly expressive. Very nuanced with outrageous complexity. The palate is fantastic with apples and a bit of cinnamon to boot. Every sip screams natural and terroir driven. Special, special stuff. Unique and gorgeous. — 11 days ago
Moon Mountain fruit is just so special isn’t it? A rather attractive wheat yellow with tiny little green flecks. The nose is so inviting despite being an infant. A bit of lemon and a touch of lime with most delicate flowers initially. Tropical and citrus fruits abound here. Peaches and nectarines with a dash of pineapple for good measure. Let the wine warm a bit and a bit of honeysuckle comes to the fore. This really does smell terrific.
This isn’t a frivolous, afterthoughts Sauvignon Blanc. It has real weight and substance with nice complexity. Pleasing acidity and a mix of laid back on the tongue yet still possessing that burst of excitement that keeps you coming back for more. The attack is vigorous with those yellow fruits maintaining dominance. Wet stone and fresh herbs run amok in the best way possible. An impeccably clean finish. A gorgeous wine. — 2 months ago
In the zone now. First wine in eight days due to the flu. Thankful no COVID-19. Nose is spicey, ebullient and ripe. Juicy nose if possible. Mega Barbera fruit but also a Cornas like granitic tension. Wonderful deep and big berries. Palate is fresh and elegant with lovey linearity and freshness. Gotten more nimble as it ages. Very sappy and pure. Opulent but only just so. Great acids, balance and freshness. So so pure. Excellent showing. — a month ago
After-rain, dewy, Florida grasslands fragrance, meant in the best way possible 😂
Fresh river zephyr.
Slight effervescent quality, dancing on the tongue. Enjoying the salinity balanced with acidity. Notes of pear, mango, nectarine, and chalk. Nice chew to it, which is always sort of an intangible I can’t quite nail, but enjoy quite a bit — a month ago
On the nose raspberry cobbler, chocolate covered cherries, earth and Tootsie Roll.
Tastes of raspberries, cherries and baking spices.
Possible update with more air!
Celebration bottle! Daughter completing her Externship (Iowa) for AuD..audiology in New Haven CT; has already had a job offer and plans to accept! Happy to see her heading back to the Midwest! — 3 months ago
Minerals, grass and burnt mud. A bit like the dregs of a camp fire - in the best possible way. — a month ago
This was presented to me at Tasting Group; double-blind. The wine appears a bright straw, nearing light golden color with a silvery, watery rim; medium+ viscosity. No signs of gas. On the nose, it reminds me of the lime tree we used to have in our backyard in Southern California. There’s also some lemon verbena, citrus blossom, and minerals…though hard to pinpoint what kind. On the palate, more of the same with lemon/lime citrus and minerals which are more chalky now. Acid is medium++. Long finish. I thought this leaned more towards its structure so I was in the Old World. Possible varieties being Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Chardonnay with possibly places of origin being Germany or France. I was leaning towards Rielsing but then I smelled my empty glass and there it was, the slightest touch of French oak. So I called 2018 Chablis 1er Cru, “Vaillons”. I’m not beating myself up too much for missing the vineyard 😜 — 22 days ago
Very nice apple flavors and if it is possible to taste “yellow” this is what I imagine it tastes like. A solid 92 and would definitely order again. — 3 months ago