Not a Rose’ Retailer notes, Blend of 35-50 year old cognac One of the best Cognacs ever to hit K&L, the Navarre Veille Reserve is the pride and joy of importer and K&L friend Nicolas Palazzi, the man behind the K&L Faultline Cognac and Guillon Painturaud expressions. Nicolas has told me time and time again that of all the brandies in his stellar lineup of grower-producer spirits, the Navarre fills him with the most pride. That's probably because it tastes so damn good. Jacky Navarre is one of the last purists among the artisan cognac distillers. The fourth generation of cognac makers in his family, located in Gondeville since 1811, he takes care of his small Grande Champagne estate with a very basic rule, "Let nature do most of the work." With the exception of an ultra-rare, impossible-to-get aged release, Navarre only makes one Cognac expression - the Vieille Reserve. It's made with 100% Ugni Blanc, and Jacky distills the brandy on the lees. The brandy sees no sugar, caramel or boise, and no water is added at the end. The natural 45% cask strength is achieved through evaporation! There are few other Cognac producers who take such care with their product and the attention to detail shows through in the flavor. The flavors of the grape are not overpowered by caramel or nougat, but are allowed to shine alongside supple vanilla. The finish is incredibly rich and wonderful, loaded with barrel spice and toasted nuts, but delicate and almost haunting in its litheness. Amazing in every way.
— a month ago
Shláinte! Purchased in 1990 at the distillery and opened this year. After 40 years (1980) enticing aromas of smoky peat perfume fill my nose. Upon my palette the silky smooth whiskey caresses my tongue. Amazing experience! — 2 months ago
Its been awhile since my last glass, so good!
For this particular edition, the distillers in Campbeltown used whisky drawn from both Port casks and rum casks - 45% came from Port casks while the remaining 55% was drawn from rum casks. Distillery's note: "Nose: A delightful fruitiness bursts through; watermelon, strawberry laces, brambles and blueberries followed by crushed vanilla pods and glazed cherries. Taste: Chocolate covered oranges and Caramel shortcake! Deliciously full bodied, with tropical fruit squash, gingerbread and dried mango. Finish: A captivating Campbeltown Malt; sea salt, oily and fruity. Lemon sherbet, whipped cream, apple peel and salted pretzels complete this beautiful dram!" — 5 months ago
Fantastic! It’s great with vanilla ice cream too. — 4 months ago
Oh hey! Line39. I keep wanting to ignore them but they keep overdelivering on price point and right now if I can tell you a good budget friendly thang to find at Whole Foods...here for that. It has a bunch of that yeasty lees-y honeyed fruit richness but a refreshing acid and...damn I am enjoying this wine also it goes well with cheesy-ness on bread aka white pizza. Also I get a hint of beer and peanut shell but blinded, what would I think this was? Maybe okay maybe a pinot Grigio but an old world one. I don’t know if there are manipulations on this wine but it has a good balance and taste. I like. — 6 months ago